Exploring the fishbowl.


 

I was never too good at doing the regular stuff.  Organizing receipts, remembering to pay bills on time, settling down to the suburban life, etc.  I guess I need a girlfriend to help me with some of these things.  I'm currently accepting applications.  On the other hand, life in the suburbs doesn't provide many views like the one above.  Mount Washington, New Hampshire.  August 2019.

I'm not really doing anything too extreme.  Not jumping off the cliff, but there is pleasure in sitting at the edge just contemplating it.  A bit of scenery and time for appreciating it.  Certainly more interesting than most days.  

I have friends who think 200 miles is a long motorcycle trip.  And that's fine.  It just doesn't work for me.  I grew up traveling regularly.  Was employed in traveling jobs.  No surprise that I found recreation to necessarily involve travel.  Sitting at home starts feeling wrong very quickly.

Over the course of time, I've collected many memories, and far too many unpublished, unshared photos.  No telling what will become of this blog, but for now, I'll just be sharing some neat experiences, and hopefully interesting photos.    

Mt. Washington was a little strange.  I've read about it, and spent so much time anticipating the ride.  A three-week, 6,000 mile trip, and this was going to be a highlight.  For those who don't know, this place has the consistently worst weather you can imagine.  A record-breaking 231 mph wind gust once a long time ago.  Hurricane-speed wind is common.  Snow is possible, even in August.  Blowing fog, freezing rain, etc.  All kinds of fun.  Part of me wants to get a job up there just to appreciate the winter.  

This was the first important stop on my trip.  No idea whether I would even be able to try the climb.  I had my winter riding gear on hand, but that is no guarantee.  For a week ahead of time, I was constantly checking summit conditions.  



That funny-looking guy with the 13-year-old beater motorcycle is me.  At the base of the mountain, no reason to turn around.  


Turns out, the biggest challenge I would face was traffic.  The wind steadily died down as I approached the mountain.  At the summit, it was 58 degrees with calm wind.  I have no experience with this place, but I'm guessing that such weather is a little rare.  I had to remove the winter riding coat because I was sweating.  

The road itself is certainly not for novice motorcycle riders.  Some of the switchbacks are steep, and without really solid control, you're going to have a bad time.  The temperature also made it tough for some people.  While wandering the summit, I heard of three other bikers and a car who overheated on the way up.  Meanwhile, my really basic air-cooled 2006 Honda Shadow 750 did just fine.  Though I did stop often to take photos.  Why hurry, when there is scenery to enjoy.



  

Descent was fun.  The gravel section is in great shape, but it sure is steep.  I had to use first and second gear the whole way.  

In the end, the mountain was a bit anticlimactic. (and I guess also anti-climatic)?  Part of me was excited for the challenge of a bit of blowing fog and cold.  But the White Mountains are gorgeous, and I had to wonder why I continue not living up there.  Maybe some day.

Comments